Two Ways to Try and Get Your Employer to Pay for Your Injuries

Posted on

Getting injured at work can mean that you end up not being able to work for a long time. So, not only are you in the position of worrying about medical bills, but you also have to worry about how you are going to support your family. Your employer's worker's comp insurance should cover your medical bills, but they may fight you over paying those bills, leaving you to come up with the money out of your pocket. What can you do if your employer won't help you out by covering your medical bills?

Try to Negotiate

One thing you can do is try to negotiate with your employer and their insurance company on your own. You can talk to them and give your side of the story. That would include explaining exactly how the accident happened, who was around when it happened, and what your injuries and prognosis are. You may be able to get your employer to change their mind and to cover your medical costs as well as temporary disability while you are healing, and that would give you a percentage of your income while you are recuperating. However, negotiating on your own may not work well. Your employer may not want to speak to you while your injury is still in dispute. There is another option. 

See a Lawyer

Really, your best option is going to see a lawyer. That's because a lawyer is going to be able to negotiate for you in a more objective manner. If you are talking to your employer, you are going to be loaded down with emotion and won't be able to maintain the necessary distance to get some control over the situation. Your lawyer, while they will be fighting for you, won't have the same emotional liability and will be able to have that distance to get you what you need. They will also know the law and what your employer owes you as a person who was injured at their business. Your attorney will file a lawsuit against your employer and take them to court if they refuse to pay for your injuries as well as your pain and suffering. 

If you have been injured at work, you shouldn't have to worry about how your medical bills are going to get paid. An attorney such as one from Richard Glazer Law Office can help you with your case.